November 17, 2009

Interview Tip - Self Disclosure

An Example of Self Disclosure

What we mean by 'self-disclosure' is the giving or telling of something about yourself that is not actually necessary in order to answer the question. There is nothing more important you can do in an interview than help give people a feel of what you are like and self-disclosure is the most powerful way to do it. This is an extension of relating stories. With a little training this is not hard to do. 
If they ask "Why do you want to be a nanny?" You could answer:
"I've always wanted to work with children" Or you could say:
"Well two years ago my best friend Amanda had a little baby girl Sarah and when she had her christened she asked me to be her Godmother. Well of course I said yes, but as the christening came round and as I prepared for the ceremony I really started to think about Sarah and how important she was and how much we are all responsible for the well being of our children and it got me to thinking about what I really wanted to do with my life.

You get the picture? What you say hardly matters. What matters is that you speak about something that you feel really strongly about. If you feel strongly about it you will sound enthusiastic, authentic, engaged and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment